Thursday, January 21, 2010

INSOMNIA


I have struggled with insomnia for most of my life. Waking up several times a night. Sometimes not being able to go back to sleep. Or not being able to go to sleep in the first place. I finally resorted to taking a Tylenol PM to help me sleep. And ended up doing that for the last 5 or so years. 

I believe that insomnia can be an indication of a toxic overload in our bodies. Yes there can be many other factors also. But the first thing I always look at is diet & nutrition. Or the lack there of. I have a healthier diet than most. And yet still a good detox is always in order when my body is out of whack.

I have been off of coffee for 3 weeks now. And my last PM was almost 2 weeks ago. I am sleeping thru the night & am able to go to sleep easily.

In one of my juicing books 'Juicing For Life'  she outlines the nutrients needed & the vegetables that contain those nutrients.

Niacin~cofactor in the conversion of the amino acid tryptophan into the sleep-inducing chemical serotonin (Broccoli, Tomato, Carrot)

Vit B6~also cofactor in the conversion (Spinach, Carrot, Pea)

Magnesium~also cofactor in the conversion (Parsley, Collard Greens, Blackberry)

Calcium~aids in muscle relaxation (Kale, Collard Greens, Broccoli)

Folate~may help restless leg syndrome (Asparagus, Spinach, Kale)

Lettuce & celery are traditional remedies for insomnia.

Juicing Recipes~~

TRADITIONAL SLEEP POTION                     
3-4 Lettuce Leaves
1 Stalk Celery
Juice. Drink 30 minutes before bedtime

TRADITIONAL NERVE SOOTHER
1 Stalk Celery
3-4 Carrots
Drink 1 hr before bedtime

SWEET MAGNESIUM SMOOTHIE
1 pint Blackberries
1 ripe Banana
2 oz Silken Tofu
1 Tbsp Brewer's Yeast
Juice Blackberries. Combine with other ingredients in blender or a food processor & blend until smooth. Garnish with Blackberries. Drink 1 hr before bedtime



No comments:

Post a Comment